Management in Action has been updated to be even more practical, scenario based and linked to the Leadership Success Profile (LSP). Relevant for new and existing managers, Management in Action has been designed to give a thorough grounding in the skills and knowledge required to become a confident and effective people leader in the New Zealand public service.
The programme includes topics such as how to delegate, coaching techniques, how to build a high-performing inclusive work environment and how to inspire a shared vision.
It uses a blend of theory, research, leading practices and participant experience. There are three two-day workshops, online learning and Action Learning Groups (ALGs). Offered as a cross-agency programme, participants will also benefit from collaborating across the public sector and learning about others' roles and challenges.
The programme includes:
- an experienced facilitator (from the LDC provider panel)
- case studies and scenarios
- videos and LDC toolkits
- online modules - key theories, so classroom time can be best used in discussion and scenario-based learning
- Action Learning Groups held over six months to help translate learning into the workplace
- feedback, including a 360-degree Emotional Intelligence tool and a 180 LSP tool to increase self-awareness
- personal reflection - space to think, reflect and plan how to action things differently
- guest presenters at each module, who share stories of learning and success in the public sector.
- explore a wide range of tools and techniques for managing self and others
- develop the skills to manage others in a way that complements personal styles
- learn how to support and develop others to enhance performance
- develop the confidence to tackle difficult people-management situations
- learn about the shift from their previous day-to-day roles, and focus on achieving results through others
- learn when and how to adapt their management style to the changing nature of organisations.
- Offered to public sector managers of people, with support from their managers.
- We also customise Management in Action to suit an agency's needs and can provide a tailored, in-house programme. Please contact us to see how it can work for you.
Time and cost commitments
- The programme runs over six months. Each of the three workshops is for two full days. The Action Learning Groups scheduled between each module are two hours long. There is an online module scheduled between each workshop, and actions to undertake back in the work place.
- Programmes are held in Wellington and Auckland.
- The fee for each participant is $3,195 + GST for the core programme with additional assessment fees if required. Non-member participant fee is $ $3,800 + GST.
Management in Action 2017 programmes
MiA 7 - Wellington, October 2016-March 2017 (now full)
Workshop 1: 19-20 October
ALG: 8 November
Workshop 2: 29-30 November
ALG: 13 December
Workshop 3: 7-8 February
ALG: 20 March
MiA 8 - Wellington, March-June 2017 (now full)
Module 1: 22-23 March
ALG: April 19
Module 2: 9-10 May
ALG: 31 May
Module 3: 27-28 June
ALG: 19 July
MiA 9 - Wellington, June-November 2017
Kickoff session: 9 June, 1:00-3:00pm
Module 1: 20-21 June
ALG: 31 July
Module 2: 16-17 August
ALG: 11 September
Module 3: 24-25 October
ALG: 20 November
MiA 10 - Wellington, October 2017-April 2018
Kickoff session: 3 October, 1:00-3.00pm
Module 1: 18-19 October 2017
ALG: 17 November 2017
Module 2: 31 January-1 February 2018
ALG: 20 February 2018
Module 3: 13-14 March 2018
ALG: 11 April 2018
Management in Action, Ministry of Business and Innovation - People Leaders
Workshop 1: 18-19 April
Workshop 2: 18-19 May
To register your interest for MiA or be waitlisted for future opportunities, please contact LDC Programmes, LDC.